Holy Well National School
Nut Allergies Posted : 13 September 2022

Dear Parents/Guardians, 

 We have pupils with a severe allergic reaction to nuts. This allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock) can occur through ingestion of peanut/nut products, cross-contamination and breathing peanuts in the air.

 Since this condition can be life-threatening, we are asking for your help in minimising the risk to these children by:

 

a)    Avoiding giving children nuts in school lunches

b)   Avoiding giving peanut butter sandwiches, other spreads containing nuts such as Nutella and snacks/bars containing nuts or labelled “may contain nut traces” in school lunches

c)    Asking children not to share their lunches.

 

Due to the severity of the problem, it is important that all parents carry out the suggested measures and reduce the risk of allergic reactions in these children. 

 We thank you for your co-operation.